Millie's Jamaican Cafe is a great little Jamaican restaurant right across the street from UCF.
The food is homemade. It's delicious, and Mama Millie obviously loves what she does. I met her today when I went to pick up an order of curry chicken for myself, and an order of the famous jerk chicken for Shannon. She's really sweet, but mentioned how difficult the business has been lately.
"You don't come here with your little girl," she said in her thick Jamaican accent, "You go to where your little girl wants to go and you get something there too."
She's right, of course. With menu items like Oxtail (yum) and curry goat, there isn't a whole lot for the little kids. Even the jerk chicken, which sounds easy enough and is VERY good, is way too spicy for a child. The menu states that the chicken is made with the Scotch bonnet pepper, one of the hottest around. Way more spice than I can handle. While I have always finished it (it really is that good), it's after several glasses of water and over enough time that the chicken has gotten cold.
"Not many people think to come here because its an uncommon food, sort of a specialty menu," she told me. I picked up a couple of menus and told her I'd bring them to work with me and put them up. There's a wall at work known as the "Lunch Wall" because I named it that just now. It contains menus from the area restaurants so people can get ideas about what to eat.
In the meantime, if you're in the area, you should go there.
By the way, some of the descriptions made me giggle a bit, like the one for "Coco Curry", which boasts the following ingredients:
Coco Curry (cabbage, onions, chick peas, carrots, green beans, "chunks")
Chunks?!

No comments:
Post a Comment